What you need to know about addiction is here.
What is addiction?
Addiction is a disease that causes two types of dependence:
- Physical dependence
- Physical dependence is the result of physical changes in the brain through the use of an addictive drug, which produces symptoms of withdrawal in the absence of that drug.
- Psychological dependence
- Psychological dependence is the result of prolonged use of an addictive drug, causing an emotional need or compulsion to continue using it.
Signs of addiction
- Altered sleep habits
- Small or pinpoint pupils
- Dramatic weight changes
- Frequent nosebleeds
- Frequent colds or illnesses
- Itchy skin or unexplained cuts or scabs
- Leg cramps
- Poor hygiene
- A sense of desperation
- Changes in personality or friends
- School or work performance problems
- Out of or in need of money
- Nodding off or constant sleep problems